As The Wesley Communities approach 50 years of excellent service, our CEO Peg Carmany offers “Peg’s Perspective” on a variety of topics affecting seniors and their adult children as they plan and choose to age well – 50 tips to celebrate 50 years!
Tip #17 of 50 – Why not just move into a hotel for your retirement?
You may have seen the cartoons and ads and articles that suggest (some in all seriousness) that the price of retirement home living is high so, “Why not just move into a hotel?” The article then usually goes on about the price per day, and usually concludes (inaccurately) that hotel living is the better deal financially.
Let me give you many reasons why this is just a horrible idea:
- Hotels are not communities, because most people in hotels are there for relatively short stays, and people who are “here and gone” do not make particularly good neighbors.
- Hotels generally do not have good (and certainly not healthy) food options, if any.
- Hotels in general do not offer group or individual activities. Hotels are not in the people business. They are in the overnight accommodation business.
- Hotels do not provide healthcare.
- A hotel room. Picture it. Really?
Now, let me give you some really good reasons why retirement communities are far superior to hotels:
- Retirement communities are focused on the needs and wants of the people who live there.
- It’s never too late to make lifelong friends . . . and people who move into retirement communities are almost always, without exception, there to stay.
- People who live in retirement communities are interested and interesting.
- The food and activity options are fabulous.
- Healthcare is provided at all levels in continuing care retirement communities.
We invite you to visit one of The Wesley Communities to see all that they have to offer! Learn more about our services and amenities by visiting our website at www.thewesleycommunities.com